When the Christmas tree falls, the turkey burns and the dog throws up, turn to these 11 ways for you have less holiday stress and more enjoyment.
Last year I needed to read this article. Our little family of six went on our first Disney cruise just a few days before Christmas, along with my in-laws, my husband’s brother, his wife and their two girls.
After the cruise, all 12 of us celebrated Christmas at our house. Did I mention TWELVE PEOPLE lived, breathed, celebrated and did whatever it is you do at Christmas time IN OUR HOUSE.
I had never entertained a group that large for that amount of time. Needless to say, I spent most of November and all of December planning, arranging, cleaning and preparing for the cruise and the subsequent visit from our extended family.
I can honestly say that I didn’t enjoy the days leading up to Christmas as much as I normally do – and Christmas is my favorite time of year. I was running around in a vague attempt to foresee requests, fulfill wishes and prevent catastrophic meltdowns.
But… I learned a lot. I now know what it takes to entertain a party of 12 with an age gap spanning over 70 years. I also know my limitations and my incredible strengths – and how to make them work for me, not against me.
Please learn from my “mistakes” and experience, so you will have a stress-free and enjoyable holiday season! You deserve it!
Less holiday stress, more enjoyment with these 11 tips:
- Stay in the moment.
- When the Christmas tree falls, the turkey burns and your dog throws up on Aunt Jane’s super fancy shoes, stay in the moment.
- Remember, WHY you are all together and know that this year’s “fail” will be next year’s “funny memories.”
- Traditions are made to be broken.
- Traditions can be a blessing and a curse. While we find comfort in routines and knowing what to expect from situations, it can easily add a stressful element to holiday preparations.
- When your sweet potato pie tastes nothing like the one your mother-in-law has served the past 37 years of your husband’s life, maybe it’s time for a new recipe!
- Remember WHY you are together and what you are celebrating.
- Regardless of which holiday you celebrate, family gatherings and get-togethers with friends are what make up a majority of the holiday memories – and that’s what matters. Try not to get dragged into family drama, age-old arguments or feuds that truly don’t matter in the grand scheme of things.
- Practice forgiveness and turn a deaf ear to negativity – and pour yourself another glass of wine if necessary.
- Continue reading my 11 best tips to stress less this holiday season, follow this link.
I am thrilled to share my tips for a stress-free Holiday season with our local community through the Jupiter Medical Center’s website. Check out the rest of my tips. You will enjoy the Holidays more and I appreciate you showing the Jupiter Medical Center that I have friends who read my stuff!