I want to be safe! I want to assure my husband and family that I am OK where ever I am.Whether I am at the mall, meeting friends for dinner or going for a walk in the neighborhood, I want my husband to know that I am out of harm’s way. Stopping short of wearing a collar with a tracking device and a laser gun at all times, I have had a hard time finding just the right solution for me to obtain this safety goal.
My three criteria:
- A device that can not be used against me or my children. So pepper spray, maze, weapons of any kind are all out of the question.
- It has to be something that is natural for me to carry around. As a mother of many little boys, the last thing I need is another foreign object to tote around with us. Between toy cars, Batman figurines, goldfish crackers and Lego guys my purse and pockets are always packed to the brim.
- It has to be economical. I do not want to spend a lot of money on a safety device that may or may not work, and that will break the bank as we head into the most expensive time of year.
My solution: REACT MOBILE!
After searching high and low, I came across a simple app on my iPhone (also available for Android users).
This solution meets all three of my criteria:
- It is an app that uses the GPS on your phone to track your whereabouts, after it has been activated. The app can be turned on as you leave the mall, leave your car to walk to the restaurant or head out for a walk. It is silent and no one will even know that it is tracking you, so therefore it cannot be used against you in any way.
- This application is installed on your iPhone, which is something I always carry with me. In this day and age it is considered the equivalent of leaving a vital organ at home, if you as much as go check the mail without having your phone within reach.
- It is a FREE app! I think that’s about as economical as it gets.
What else do I love about REACT MOBILE?
There are two main features on the application, making it simple and very user-friendly.
The SOS feature allows you to quickly contact Emergency Dispatch and simultaneously alert the contacts you have loaded onto the app.
- The Emergency Dispatch contact information can be customized to any location in the world, so this app is not only useful at home, but also while you are traveling abroad.
- Your SOS message can be broadcast onto your Facebook and Twitter accounts, spreading the message that you are in trouble and need assistance – obviously only to be used in true emergencies. You do not want to be the person that calls “wolf”.
The “Follow Me” feature is my favorite on this application.
- You activate the feature before you are meeting a new business partner in a questionable part of town, before you have your real estate open house, before you cross the dark parking garage after working late, before you go out for an evening stroll or run. The app immediately sends a message to your contacts informing them that you feel unsafe and wish for them to know your whereabouts.
- Your contacts can then track you real time on a map and rest assured that you made it to your destination.
- Once you are safely at home, in your car or at your meeting you deactivate the “Follow Me” feature and your contacts are immediately sent a message reassuring them of your safety.
One thing to keep in mind about the app is that it is SO effective that you should only load contact information for the people who truly have a vested interest in your safety. Enter your spouse, partner or other loved one – if you find yourself short on either of those, put in your best friend or at least a creditor or someone you owe money (you KNOW they will want to come find you).
You should also tell your contacts about the app and inform them that while the message they receive via text or email sounds rather dire and urgent, you may just activate the feature when you are feeling uneasy, and not necessarily in a true emergency situation.
Spend some time loading a few choice contacts, get to know the app’s features – how to turn them on AND OFF, and communicate to your contacts ahead of time. After that – head on out into the great world of fun and adventure – or at least do what I did – go to the mall and enjoy some safe shopping!
(I have not received any monetary compensation for this review. It is not a sponsored post)