There is no such thing as having “too many books” in my eyes. I grew up surrounded by books and I wish the same for my children. Their playroom is lined with bookshelves filled with books aimed to entice and challenge various levels of reading skills. I was recently provided an advance copy of “This House Needs a Mouse” written by C. Jeffery Nunnally, a new children’s book written for 3-8 year old children. The age range is perfect for my bunch of boys, as their ages range from 10 months to 8 years old. C. Jeffrey Nunnally’s book is such a great addition to our library. The book is filled with fun repetitious words and a great play on words throughout.
The story is a great tale of how a person’s perspective and opinions change over time as needs and wants are met and new ones emerge. The families grow and evolve as does the mouse. The repetitious nature of the language lends itself very well to capturing the attention of preschoolers and gives emerging readers the confidence they need to develop a love for reading.
Jacob (8), our oldest son is in second grade. It was so touching watching him sit down to read this story to his younger brothers. Jordan (6), our kindergartener quickly caught on to the story line and tried to predict what would happen next. I can tell you that he did not expect the ending though. Jansen (3) our big toddler was ever so curious and loved that the toddler in the story had a speaking part – in fact all the kids got a good chuckle out of it.
- The story line was well thought out, and as you read the book over and over (and over – as toddlers make you do) the story evolved.
- The ending was sweet, but I won’t ruin it for you.
- The illustrations by Tamara Z. Brink were adorable, dynamic and captivating.
- The book currently is only available in hard cover, with a beautiful high quality glossy cover.
- I enjoyed the language and loved how it captured our kids’ attention from the first page.
This book should be part of every child’s library as they will grow up with the it. “This House Needs a Mouse” truly is perfect for the age group 3-8.
What is your child’s favorite book, right now?