Father’s Day, birthdays and Christmas are all great causes of gift-giving stress. I never quite know what to get my husband who either has everything, or if he needs something, he buys it himself. Then one fine day, several years ago (four years actually) I decided to put the kids to good use. I had figured out a way to make the fact that we have a lot of kids, work to my advantage. This is what I call a total mom win! So, this Father’s Day, birthday or Christmas… or just as a special surprise, start a tradition and take these adorable pictures with your kids!
(This post may contain affiliate links, which means I earn a commission if you purchase something through my links, at no additional cost to you. Your support of this blog makes me very happy.)
Spell It Out Photography:
- I put the kids to good use for Father’s Day 2012 when we spelled “DAD”.
- In June 2013 we surprised Dada with Jonah’s Gender Reveal on the couch where the kids spelled “BOY”.
- Father’s Day 2014, we were able to really celebrate “DADA” (as they call him), since we finally had enough kids to spell the whole word.
- Father’s Day 2015, I had a cariacture done of our family photo. I share a picture of it in this Father’s Day Gift Guide. It came out really cute (and funny!)
- Father’s Day 2016 was the first time we use a professional photographer for our “spell it out” picture. We, again, used letters to spell “DADA” at the photoshoot.
- Father’s Day 2017… Well, I can’t reveal what we are doing this year! But you will have to follow Mama in the Now on Instagram, I promise to share our Father’s Day gift there.
Items You Need for Photosessions with Letters:
- Kids: I used our own, but borrow cute ones if you need more hands.
- Matching Outfits: It’s a great added touch, but there is always someone in the group who doesn’t want to wear his (usually the toddler – or the cranky tween/ teen)!
- Wooden Letters: $3-4/ letter. They can easily be painted or decorated, but I fell that the white letters have worked well for us.
How to Pull off a Cute Photo Session Without Losing Your Sanity:
Step 1: Decide on a word.
Step 2: Buy the letters.
Step 3: Buy adorable outfits.
Step 4: Get kids dressed. (This will be the second hardest step in the process, bribe if necessary).
Step 5: Have a glass of wine. (Do NOT skip this step, for everyone’s sake!).
Step 6: Pose kids for adorable “Spell It Out” photos. (This IS the hardest part, but the wine will help you keep your composure.)
Step 7: Take pictures – lots of them – keep snapping while you tell them: “sit still, look at me, eyes on me, I am over here, don’t chew on the letter, don’t chew on your brother, can you sit your brother back up, look at me, oh for the love of God – JUST LOOK AT ME!”
Step 8: Have another glass of wine, you totally deserve it!
Step 9: Take a nap!
Step 10: Sort through all 284 pictures. Find ONE decent picture, or maybe there are only “bloopers”… either result is perfect. Whatever you do, do NOT retake the pictures!
Step 11: Get the pictures developed and frame them!
You will definitely see more “Spell It Out” photos in the future with our kids.
Cute ideas for “Spell It Out” photography:
Valenentine’s Day: “LOVE
Christmas: “HO HO”
Mother’s Day: “MAMA”/ “MOM” (hint, hint honey!)
Kid’s Room: Spell the kid’s name by taking pictures of him holding one letter at a time. Display in a large frame.
Pregnancy announcement: “BABY”
Gender reveal: “BOY”/ “GIRL”
Job resignation: “I QUIT” – ha ha ha
Birthday: Have the kid hold up a number for his age. For parents/ grandparents: Have the kids hold the double digit age.
Remember, one child can hold more than one letter! The possibilities are endless, have fun with it.