In the aftermath of what could have been a disaster, I found myself emotionally and physically drained. Until Jonah and I used these 6 self-care tips!
This post was sponsored by Dunkin’ Donuts. I received a gift card and compensation in return for my honest review. I can honestly say, I love Dunkin’ Donuts!
I am emotionally and physically drained from the events that took place last week. The kids finally went back to school today, after being home for four days due to Hurricane Matthew. It’s just Jonah and me this morning. My little sidekick keeps me going, pushing forward, even when I am running on empty.
Together, we are making the most of our quiet morning. The birds are chirping all around us, you can almost hear the relief in their voices. Even the wildlife senses that we narrowly escaped being hit by a major hurricane.
The butterflies are fluttering from one beautiful flower to the next. The Black Bears in front of us are basking in the sun, napping on their backs as they soak up the healing rays from the hot Florida sun. Yes, I said bears, in front of us…
Jonah and I needed a break from our house, it is in shambles after the four days of hurricane preparations we went through. No, we didn’t get hit by the hurricane, but the inside of our house looks like it was. We will deal with the cleaning and put things back in order another day.
Today we will take our cues from the bears, we will bask, relax and recharge.
For four days, we ran on adrenaline, fear and an abundance of weather reports. We did what we are taught to do in South Florida: prepare for the worst, hope for the best. The fear of preparing your family and home for potential devastation is draining: emotionally and physically.
So today is the perfect time for us to regroup and get back on top.
Jonah and I enjoyed our favorite fall breakfast snacks from Dunkin’ Donuts before we went to our local wildlife animal sanctuary, hence the bear… and also a couple of Florida Panthers.
It’s not exactly breakfast time, but that’s the beauty of craving something sweet from Dunkin’ Donuts, we can get it any time of day!
There are so many great posts going around social media these days, reminding moms to care for the caregiver. I agree. It is impossible to be something for someone when you are running out of steam. Remember moms, self-care is NOT selfish.
After spending four days preparing to protect our family and home from devastation and loss, it is time for me to enjoy a little self-care. I remind myself that taking care of my own needs doesn’t have to be glamorous, cost a lot of money or take a lot of time. It’s rather a few smart and intentional actions that simply remind me that I am appreciated, worthy and loved.
6 Self-Care Tips That Will Make You Feel Better Instantly
- Enjoy a favorite treat. This particular morning, I am enjoying the new Caramel Apple Croissant Donut from Dunkin’ Donuts and a pumpkin latte, while Jonah is happily putting away the pumpkin MUNCHKINS®.
- Take a nap. Either lay down when your baby is napping, or ask your partner or a friend to watch your kids for an hour. An impromptu nap, extra and unexpected sleep, can truly leave you feeling refreshed.
- Wear something nice. We all have “the dress” or “the outfit” that we are saving for a special occasion. Guess what, today is THAT day. Today is special because you just made it through something incredibly hard. Wear THE outfit, don’t save it.
- Soak your feet or take a bath. This sounds almost too simple, but it works. When I am tired beyond words, soaking my feet in a tub of warm water. It relaxes me, and the bonus benefit: it’s a cheap pedicure.
- Help someone in need. As I scroll through my Facebook feed, I come across a friend in need of food for her family. I quickly rally my mommy-friends and start a grocery store gift card drive to benefit the young family. Nothing makes me feel better and makes me forget about my own worries, than helping someone else.
- Smile! I know, it IS simple, but oh so effective. At first, you will feel silly, but trust me, as you get used to smiling at strangers, you will realize that your efforts are returned ten-fold from the recipients of your Colgate smile.
Jonah and I take our sweet time at the wildlife sanctuary, maybe it’s because we don’t want to go home and clean – or perhaps because we just need to reconnect with each other, nature and ourselves outside of our home’s four walls. Regardless of the reason, we are enjoying OUR TIME – and when we have to pick up the rest of the brood from school, I am sure we will feel the renewed energy.
Thank you, Dunkin’ Donuts for once again turning a brief moment in time into a sweet escape from reality.
I strongly encourage you to head to your local Dunkin’ Donuts to check out their Fall line-up of flavors.
- The new Caramel Apple Croissant Donut is only available for a limited time. Imagine a glazed croissant donut with apple filling… topped with caramel icing drizzle?! I know, right?!
- The dough was light and fluffy, like a croissant, the apple filling was juicy like a perfect apple pie – and the caramel icing doesn’t need to be described – it’s beyond words.
- If you are more of a pumpkin-flavor-everything-kind-of-person, then rush to Dunkin’ Donuts right away.
- They have pumpkin flavored coffees, lattes (this one is great), macchiatos, MUNCHKINS®… and muffins – pumpkins galore
- and the best part – all of this delicious goodness is available all day long.
You can eat breakfast for breakfast, lunch AND dinner at Dunkin’ Donuts – and that to me is always a “win!”
Speaking of “win”… How would YOU like to win $25 mGift (electronic gift card) to Dunkin’ Donuts? You are in luck, I am hosting a giveaway and you ought to enter because: breakfast any time of day… need I say more?!
Here’s the giveaway entry form. Please share this with your friends, they might just share the gift card with you if they win!