Hygge 101: How to Get Started with Hygge
This is our Hygge 101 resource page!
So you have heard of “hygge” but have no idea what hygge is and or the foggiest idea of how to pronounce it?!
I am glad you came here to learn about hygge, because this page will fill you with tips, ideas and lots of inspiration. I can’t WAIT to hear of your contentment and coziness journey and your happiness transformation. It’s truly life-changing.
Here you’ll find everything from getting started with hygge, how to add it to your home and how to enjoy it all year long. Personally, I have been practicing hygge in my daily life from my early childhood in Denmark, and I am thrilled to share my wonderful experiences with you!
Whether you have already dipped your feet into this contentment lifestyle or you are just getting started, you’ll find something on this page of interest.
Hygge in Denmark
I grew up in Denmark, and I moved to the United States when I was 18 years old. Having lived for many years in both cultures has given me the unique insight to take the best from both worlds – and a great part of that is incorporating Danish hygge into an American life.
Denmark was an awesome place to grow up. I truly had the happiest childhood, I was parented “the Danish Way” and was a wonderful place to raise your children. However this might not be an option for everyone. Hygge is a way to bring the Danish lifestyle and Danish happiness into your own home! One of the ways you can raise happy and confident children is by practicing hygge as a family and incorporating it into your home and everyday lifestyle.
How to Get Started
If you are new to the art of hygge, you may need a few helpful tips to get started. First and foremost, find out why a hygge lifestyle is so popular right now. Below are some of my best ideas and inspiration to help you on your journey with this unique form of happiness.
There’s one thing you need to keep in mind: this Danish coziness and contentment don’t have to cost a thing. If you are brand new to this lifestyle, check out this post to find out what hygge means and how to pronounce it correctly. These are my best posts to help guide you through this exciting new journey.
- If you are short on money, here is how to embrace hygge on a budget.
- Did you know that “hygge” isn’t just for the cold weather months? Summer hygge is real and oh so awesome. These 10 summer hygge ideas will please everyone in your family!
- During hard times, the last thing you may want to think about is simplifying your life. However, these tips can help you get through some of the hardest moments of your life and bring you to a place of hygge.
- If hygge had a peak season, it would be winter! Here is how to incorporate hygge into your winter wardrobe.
Hygge in Your Home
Considering your home is your castle, don’t forget to add coziness throughout your home. A few simple tweaks to your home decor will instantly bring coziness and comfort throughout your home.
- One of the best rooms in your house for hygge is the bedroom, don’t miss these 8 things you need to add hygge to your bedroom!
- The living room is your common area and likely where you spend the majority of your family time. Here are tips to help you bring hygge into your living room space.
- And surprise surprise, we even have hygge ideas for the bathroom! (We spend so much time in the bathroom, it only makes sense to bring coziness in there too, right?!)
- Don’t forget the DIY bath bombs for a hygge bath experience… in that hygge bathroom of yours! (See, it’s all coming together!)
Crafts and Activities
Teaching your kids about hygge and embracing the lifestyle can be hard for those just starting out. Incorporating my Danish childhood traditions into our daily lives helped bring our hygge dreams to life! Here are great crafts and activities to do together with your family.
- DIY Bath Bombs for a Hygge Bath Experience
- Polymer Clay Danish Christmas Heart Ornament
- LEGO Tea Light Candles
- Learning Through Play the Danish Way
- Random Acts of Kindness for Kids
Recipes for a Hygge Lifestyle
A staple of the hygge lifestyle is to get in the kitchen and start cooking. I have found that making my own cozy beverages and baked treats are the best way to practice this wonderful lifestyle of coziness. Here are some amazing recipes, inspired by this Danish source of happiness.
- Hot Cocoa Recipes for Cold Hygge Days
- Danish Desserts
- Refreshing Danish Salad With the Best Life Has to Offer: Bacon
Incorporating Hygge into your Holiday Celebration
The holidays can be a stressful time of year. Valentine’s Day requires you to plan out an amazing gift for your sweetheart, and Thanksgiving and Christmas can just fly by because they’re so busy. Here are a few ways you can incorporate happiness, fun and less stress into your holiday celebrations.
- The 13 Gnomes You Need to Hygge This Season
- The Elf on the Shelf, The Danish Way
- How to Add Hygge to your Valentine’s Day
- New Year’s Eve Hygge Ideas
- How to Enjoy more Holiday Hygge with Less Stress
Hygge Shirts and Books
Yes, I wear my passions on my sleeve, literally. There’s nothing that makes me happier than a comfy hygge hoodie on a chilly fall morning.
Unlike other book lists you may find, I have personally read all these books about hygge and happiness – and unless I loved the book, it didn’t make it onto the list.
The same goes for my list of bookclub-worthy books, I have read them all and found them captivating and thought-provoking. I recently joined a couple of bookclubs, reading is now my personal hygge time – my favorite time of the day.
More Hygge Resources
Don’t forget to follow our Hygge in the Now social media accounts. It’s a fun community, sharing hygge tips and daily hyggelig moments.
From recipes to parenting tips, we’re sharing all of our blog posts in one place.