I am honored to feature another post today from Sidney Young from Need Organizing? She is a “regular” on my blog because I love her down-to-earth common sense ways to combat clutter and keep your home organized! I know you will love this article from her too! Here is Sidney’s ultimate guide to clutter-free gifts for kids!
Sidney: I’ve spent over 13 wonderful years helping families eliminate clutter from their homes. With the Holidays around the corner, it has me thinking about how I can celebrate through giving, but not create clutter in our home and those of my family and friends.
Most families can agree that we live in a constant battle against clutter. The problem only gets worse as the families grow, especially once the kids are at different developmental stages and interests.
I am so excited to share my ultimate guide to clutter-free gifts for kids!
By no means am I saying that I’m not buying the children in my life toys, but why not add a few things from the list below. Most of the gifts on this list are suggestions for kids, but they also make great gifts for the entire family. An added bonus is that this list fits budgets of any size.The ultimate guide to clutter-free gifts for kids! #GiftGuide #EndClutter #Organization Click To Tweet
Rather than frantically searching for gift ideas a few days before Christmas, try these clutter-free gift ideas – perfect for any age and wallet!
- Books are first on the list because they are my all time favorite gift to give and receive. They take up very little space on a bookshelf, are reasonably priced and can be enjoyed by kids and adults of all ages. There is simply no such thing as having “too many books!”
- Magazine Subscriptions! What child doesn’t like receiving things in the mail?! Giving a magazine subscription encourages reading and it will arrive every month! (Highlights & Spider are two of my favorites.)
- RENTAL Subscription boxes, for all the reasons as magazine subscriptions, but they also provide hands-on learning and fun – without leaving permanent clutter in your home!
- Savings Bonds can be used for future education expenses or making a larger purchase. It takes time for them to mature. Visit their website for answers to all your questions: www.Treasurydirect.gov.
- Activities and experiences can be a fun gift, especially if you can plan a playdate together! Bowling, an indoor play area, sports event or concert. Making memories with your family and friends is a gift within itself.
- Annual memberships to museums and zoos.
- (Tove’s insert) Our 9 year old recently got a membership to the local Science Center, and he has said it was his coolest present ever!
- Making homemade cookies & candy is a great way to spend time with your kids. Turn the event into a learning experience of measuring and helping in the kitchen. Don’t forget to add the recipe to your sweet treat so they can make it whenever they want.
- Contribute to a 529 account or an Educational IRA. It’s a simple and easy way to give a gift today that will help them in the future, and every little bit counts.
- Movie Tickets are the perfect gift for kids of all ages. The gift card can be presented in a box filled with candy and popcorn.
- Classes: Art, music & cooking classes fosters creativity and introduces kids to other like-minded children.
- (Tove’s insert) Locally, Brick4Kidz offers great after school programs and camps throughout the year.
As you can see, not every wrapped present under the tree needs to add to the endless stream of clutter in your home. With a little creativity and outside-of-the-box thinking, you can give gifts that kids will enjoy throughout the year – and together you will make memories that last much longer than the time it takes to remove a plastic toy from its box.
What was the most awesome non-toy gift your child ever received? (Leave your answer in the comments, please!)
For questions or hands-on assistance from Sidney, please contact her. She is excited to help other families win the war on clutter!
Connect with Sidney on Facebook for daily organization tips, tricks and reminders. You will love her, I promise!
Contact information: Sidney Young, Professional Organizer at Need Organizing?
Professional Organizing in Palm Beach, Florida
Here are Sidney’s previous posts on the blog. Everything she writes is full of practical advice!