I may, or may not have a slight obsession with canvas art projects, as you will see over the next few months. The versatility of creating lasting pieces of art that commemorate our little ones’ creativity is, to me, the perfect gift for relatives. I also love using our canvas art throughout the house to decorate walls or shelves. This particular piece was inspired by my mantra: “Be Where You Are“. You need to read my heartfelt and raw story of how those four words became a way of life for me.
Jansen (4) has been my art director and micro-manager over the past several months. He is normally the one who inspires me to create and he picks the colors we use. I listen to him either because he is very persuasive, has an eye for colors, or has a nuclear meltdown if I don’t follow his directions.#DIY #Inspirational quote canvas art #craftproject, perfect for you and your #toddler! Click To Tweet
The entire project took less than 30 minutes, NOT including drying time for the paints.
- I let Jansen go to town on an 8”x10” canvas with the colors of his choice, which were red and yellow. I had him paint the entire canvas, even the sides.
- Allow the paint to dry completely, preferably over night to ensure complete dryness.
- Plan the layout of the vinyl letters. Start in the middle of the canvas and work your way up and down from that point. Place the letters loosely at first.
- Once you are satisfied with the spacing, use a blunt craft tool to gently press the vinyl into the canvas. Be careful not to leave an indentation in the canvas.
- Paint the entire canvas with a light even coat of white acrylic craft paint. You will want some of the background color to shine through, so work with long even strokes.
- BEFORE the white paint dries completely, remove the vinyl letters. Use a pointy craft tool to lift up a corner on each letter and gently pull the entire letter off.
- Voila! Your masterpiece is ready to be proudly displayed!
Have fun with this project by letting your child pick the colors and paint the abstract background.
Which quote or saying will you use?
This is why “Be Where You Are” are the words that changed everything!