(Thank you to Woodpeckers® for sponsoring this post in return for my honest opinion about their products. All opinions stated are 100% mine.)
Brilliant Wooden Emoji Pumpkins for Play and Decoration
It’s already mid-October and I am longing for a bit of fall weather. However, giving the fact that we live in South Florida (the land of eternal summer), I must instead channel the fall-feeling by decorating the house with colorful leaves and lots of pumpkins.
Nothing signals “fall” better than pumpkins. Their beautiful burnt orange colors, their perfectly imperfect round shape, sprinkled with a bit of dirt here and there. Everything about pumpkins reminds me of good old fashioned “hygge.”
“Hygge” is going to the pumpkin patch with the family, decorating pumpkins, whether you are carving or painting and of course… eating lots of pumpkin pie! I guess what all this boils down to – pumpkins mean “fall”, “hygge” and “togetherness” – at least to me.
When I came across these wooden pumpkin plaques from Woodpeckers, I immediately saw lots of fun opportunities. And… of course, the best craft projects have multiple uses – so all your hard work is appreciated for a long time.
Let’s see, where do I begin with these pumpkins?
A beautifully painted pumpkin makes for an adorable mantel/ wall/ door decoration Best of all, it’s a great quiet toy for a preschooler, teaching them about facial expressions and emotions.
As always with my craft projects, I keep the supply list simple, because none of us need to go broke buying craft supplies, right?!
Supplies needed to make an “Emoji” pumpkin/ wall plaque:
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B015S1IUUW” locale=”US” tag=”maminthenow0e-20″]Wooden pumpkin plaque from Woodpeckers[/easyazon_link]®
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00ATJSD8I” locale=”US” tag=”maminthenow0e-20″]Acrylic craft paint:[/easyazon_link] an assortment of orange and brown colors
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B009V35YVC” locale=”US” tag=”maminthenow0e-20″]Ribbon[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00284NN82″ locale=”US” tag=”maminthenow0e-20″]Sheet of black craft foam[/easyazon_link] or [easyazon_link identifier=”B0054G5JT2″ locale=”US” tag=”maminthenow0e-20″]black felt[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B075SFLDJH” locale=”US” tag=”maminthenow0e-20″]Double sided sticker dots[/easyazon_link](optional)
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B017M01UFE” locale=”US” tag=”maminthenow0e-20″]Paint brushes[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B002YIP97K” locale=”US” tag=”maminthenow0e-20″]Scissors[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B0721PTD5B” locale=”US” tag=”maminthenow0e-20″]Hot glue gun[/easyazon_link]
- Emoji face printable page 1
- Emoji face printable page 2
- Emoji face printable page 3
Instructions of how to make an “Emoji” pumpkin/ wall plaque:
- Put a little of each paint color on a big plate, do not mix the colors on the plate.
- Paint the stem, using the brown colors
- Put a little “dab” of each of the brown colors on your brush, for a natural look.
- Paint up and down, in the same vertical direction.
- When painting the pumpkin, put a little of each of the orange colors (and light brown) on your paint brush.
- Keep your paint strokes round, like the pumpkin and avoid going in a perpendicular direction.
- Let all the paint brush strokes follow the shape of the pumpkin.
- To give the illusion of grooves in the pumpkin, use a darker orange (or darker brown mixed with orange) in soft vertical lines, dividing the pumpkin in 2-3 sections.
- Allow the paint to dry completely.
- Flip the pumpkin over, apply a 8” piece of ribbon, folded in half on the back of the pumpkin, using your hot glue gun.
- (Please don’t burn your fingers – I always do!)
- Allow the glue to dry completely.
- If you are using your pumpkin as a wall plaque, it is ready to proudly display now!
- If you wish for your child to create various emoji faces out of it, use the FREE printable Jack O’Lantern features I have under the supplies used. (Or you can cut out your own.)
- I cut these facial features out in black foam sheets, but you can also use black felt and then forego using the double sided sticker dots.
- The felt “sticks” nicely on to the painted pumpkin, which makes it easier to remove the pieces for young toddlers.
When I handed the finished pumpkin to Jonah, to let him play with it. He looked up at me with a beaming look and said “you made this for ME? YOU made ME a toy?” The gratitude, love and adoration was not lost on me, not for one second. If I can only make him THIS happy every day. It’s worth a try!
I have our pumpkins scattered throughout the house as decorations and then I keep one in the car, as before mentioned, to entertain our toddler.
We have put our [easyazon_link identifier=”B015S1IUUW” locale=”US” tag=”maminthenow0e-20″]three-pack of wooden pumpkins[/easyazon_link] to great use in our family. I am sure you will also find creative uses.
Please share in the comments how you are using your Emoji Pumpkin Wall Plaque.
- I am very impressed with the wood products I have bought from Woodpeckers® on Amazon.
- Their products lend themselves perfectly to crafts and DIY projects.
- The wood shapes are uniform and without blemishes.
- Their customer service is wonderful with personal attention to each customer.
- They even send you an adorable ebook for inspiration when you purchase their peg dolls.
- Be sure to follow Woodpeckers for more craft inspiration: Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook
I have SO much fun crafting with products from Woodpeckers®. Check out these projects – they are sure to inspire you!