I have become a student of “sleep” after being diagnosed with Narcolepsy. These 9 tips will help you sleep like a baby, they work for me every night.
We were provided four (incredible) pillows from Brentwood Home for this post in return for my honest review. The opinions stated are 100% mine. This post contains affiliate links. Purchases made through these links may earn me a commission, for which I am very grateful.
“Mama, mama… MAMA! You fell asleep AGAIN while I was reading to you! Can we be done reading for the day?” – I am still in a mental haze as I mumble something in return. If you ask me what I answered I would not be able to tell you.
When I wake up from a Narcolepsy-induced nap, it takes me a few minutes to “come to” and remember who I am and why on EARTH there are four kids in our house.
I have had Narcolepsy my whole life. I didn’t always know I had Narcolepsy, it took 30 years to get a diagnosis. Once a doctor suggested that my symptoms were consistent with Narcolepsy, I knew in my heart that she just gave me the answers I had been searching for.
To say that I have become a student of “sleep” is a great understatement, I have learned how to sleep like a baby when you are an adult.
I now know exactly how much sleep I need every day to function and manage my Narcolepsy without medication. If my schedule gets thrown out of whack I can immediately tell, and I pay the price by falling asleep throughout the day.
(Don’t miss the giveaway at the end of this post! Enter to win your own set for four pillows from Brentwood Home – I share my opinion of them later in this post, so keep reading and enter to win – you will be glad you did!)
I am excited to share with you the tips and tricks I have learned over the years, of how to sleep like a baby when you are an adult.
Save with a Brentwood Home Coupon: OURHOME 10% off Brentwood Home
9 Tips To Sleep Like a Baby When You Are An Adult:
- Yes, just like your child, you also benefit from having a bedtime routine. Your body’s circadian rhythm will signal to your brain that at this particular time of day, after you have gone through your nighttime routine, it is time to slow down and prepare for sleep.
- We know how much infants sleep, at least during the day. Of course it doesn’t seem like they sleep nearly enough at night, but as this infographic shows, the number of hours of sleep we require drastically reduces as we age and mature.
- Make sure you set aside at least the minimum recommended amount of time each night for your sleep. Sleep is NOT a waste of time, it is vital for your mind and body to recharge, so be intentional in your sleep routine.
- Burning off energy throughout the day is GREAT for a good night’s sleep. However, many people find that the burst of adrenalin they get from exercise keeps them up at night, if they exercise too close to bed time.
- Find out the best time of day to exercise for your body and your schedule – and then go out there for at least 30 minutes five times a week.
- The right sleep “equipment”!
- Cotton sheets, supportive pillows and warm blankets are what I *must have* in my bed to ensure a good night’s sleep. This is why I decided to team up with Brentwood Home to introduce you to their line of wholesome, healthy and comfortable sheets, blankets and pillows.
- I am thrilled to offer you a chance to win your own “sleep wellness bundle” containing four incredible pillows at the end of this post.
- Clear and uncluttered mind.
- It is virtually impossible to lay down in bed with everything completed on your to-do list. Instead of trying to remember things until the sun rises, keep a journal by your bedside – and write down all your stray thoughts.
- White noise machine.
- We first put one in our babies’ room, and then bought one for our bedroom when I saw how effective they are. Not hearing every noise outside, getting jarred out of your sleep when a bird chirps or a dog barks will help you to get the most restorative sleep possible.
- Night light.
- Some people DO prefer their bed rooms pitch black dark. However, since we have become parents and there is usually one or two kids that migrate into our bed every night, I have found it much more helpful to have a night light by our door. The kids can find our bed – without waking us up. Win win for everyone.
- No caffeine.
- Eliminate caffeine starting in the afternoon. Instead enjoy a quiet herbal tea (like lavender or chamomile) an hour or two before bed time.
- No to electronics, yes to books.
- Personally, I fail at this one, which is why I put it last.
- I applaud you, if you go to bed without having a screen in front of you before bedtime. It IS the healthiest way to end the day. However, for me, I write at night while I sit in bed… so I break this rule rather frequently.
- When I AM done on the laptop, I pull out a good book and read for a few minutes. Getting your mind off work, social media and the busy internet is important before you lay down to sleep.
Save with a Brentwood Home Coupon: OURHOME 10% off Brentwood Home
We recently received four pillows from Brentwood Home, and I have slept the best I have in a long time. As a person with Narcolepsy, my sleep is normally fragmented and restless, but since we got these pillows I have put my head on the pillow – and not moved until the alarm went off in the morning.
Brentwood Home’s non-toxic products and processes ensure that you are resting your body on the healthiest products available. Remember, you spend approximately a third of your day in bed, so sleeping on natural sheets and pillows is imperative for your long-term health and comfort.
ENTER GIVEAWAY HERE:
- Brentwood Home takes great pride in using products that meet California’s strict environmental regulations.
- Their pricing is the lowest possible due to the fact that they have cut out the middleman.
- They have a no-questions-asked return policy, even for their mattresses.
- Brentwood Home has spent the past 30 years to perfect their handcrafting processes leaving fine details in their products that you will not find in other quilts, pillows and sheets.
I am so excited for this collaboration with Brentwood Home as I whole-heartedly stand behind their products, quality and customer service. As an example: I emailed the company last Friday evening when we had only received two of the four pillows. The message was sent after hours, so I didn’t expect a reply until late Monday morning – if ever. I was so pleasantly surprised when I heard back from them within 15 minutes, confirming the last two pillows would arrive early this week – which they did.