There are some truly amazing people in this world – and I am blessed to count some of them as my friends. These people glow from the inside out. Their intentions are pure, their first considerations are always of others and they are inherently “good people”. They have learned the hard way that “life” and “time” are two precious commodities that should not be taken for granted. These friends navigate through life appreciating the little things, celebrating small accomplishments and treating others with dignity and respect. They inspire me to be a better person – and to be nice to others.
And then there are people who could learn a thing or two from the amazing ones – this article goes out to them!
If you ever wake up on the wrong side of the bed, or even worse, wake up in the wrong bed – here are seven reasons why you need to shake off the grumpiness before you share it with the world. If you feel that life is all bad and those around you are at fault for all the negative things happening, please remember these seven reasons to be nice to others.
- Everybody is someone’s special someone. Always remember that the person who annoyed you, hurt your feelings or did something careless is someone’s son or daughter. At one point in their lives they were loved beyond measure by their parents, spouse, child or friend – or so you hope. Years ago the person who is now a Negative Nelly was probably a carefree little boy/ girl. It is out of respect for the person’s loved ones that I choose to take the high road.
- You never know someone else’s journey. How well do we really know our friends, coworkers or family members? As adults we tend to build walls around ourselves, our families and lives. We rarely show someone our full spectrum of emotions, especially if they are just an acquaintance and not someone from our “inner circle of trust.” I am always amazed when I learn of the struggles others face daily, whether it is financial strain, health concerns or family dysfunction. Remembering that everyone is traveling on their own busy journey in life helps me to be more forgiving when they are unkind towards me.
- Karma is a bitch! – So just do onto others as you would like done to you… it’s really that simple.
- Friends are better than enemies. I would much rather go have coffee with a friend, than trying to figure out how I can get along with someone who doesn’t like me. Genuine kindness is so much better than fake smiles and small talk.
- Teaching moments for kids. As the kids get older, they overhear our conversations and learn that not all people are nice or even act properly. Sitting down and explaining to your child why you were nice to someone, or how you handled a particular situation shows them that treating others with respect is the right thing to do.
- Being nice just feels better. It takes so much energy to be grumpy, mean, evil-spirited. It is easier and feels much better to be genuine, kind and easy going. And lastly:
- The person you piss off might be a writer with a blog! 😉