Oh no! This may just be the most epic motherhood fail of all time. It has been a nightmare of a week already, between soccer, tutors and doctor’s appointments. You would think these little kids were rock stars touring around in a big fancy bus. Instead they are little snotty-nosed boys riding in my mini-van.
Back to my problem – This is NOT GOOD!
One of them claims to have picture day today, while another one says he has pajama day! But… my chicken-scratch on the yellow sticky note where I keep all my reminders CLEARLY says it’s the other way around.
Who do I trust?
Little boys who can’t find their shoes, even when they are on their feet?! Or my ever-trusty-never-before-failed dog-eared yellow-sticky pad?
I take a leap of faith and trust the kids… and pray that they are right – otherwise we just got ourselves the best school pictures in the history of all school pictures.
I also make a note (on that old reliable yellow sticky pad) to call my friend Sidney Young. I need a kitchen command center – and she is just the woman for the job!
Sidney is somewhat of a celebrity among the local moms. She has awesome organizing skills, and she is as patient as my toddler is crazy about Barney – and that says QUITE a bit. Her company, Need Organizing?, comes to your house, cleans out the messiest of messy rooms – without ever judging you for the number of cheerios under your couch, or dirty socks behind the TV.
She needs to come to our house STAT – to help me create that organized kitchen command center that everyone claims saves their sanity. I need one of those – today!
[bctt tweet=”Create a sanity-saving #kitchen command center. Tips to stay #Organized from @NeedOrganizing1″]
Sidney’s tips for creating the best kitchen command center:
Dads get the home office and moms get a corner of the kitchen table. It is time for moms everywhere to claim more real estate, so they can keep the family running smoothly. A kitchen command center is a place where family members can go to get important information like appointment dates, current to do’s and school information.
Each command center is different, depending on the needs of your family. Done properly, a kitchen command center will help everyone save time and stay organized.
Location, location, location:
As with anything related to real-estate, finding the right location for the command center is crucial.
- An area of the house that is passed though or easily accessible can be an effective location.
- Not all commend centers need to be in the kitchen.
- You may have a utility room or a nook in the hallway.
- There is also no hard fast rule about looks or size of a command center, it is all depending on your family’s needs.
- It is most practical though to have a small desk or shelves to place items on, and drawers are a big help.
Take your own interests and responsibilities into account:
- Do you need a extra space for 1099s, account statements and receipts during tax time?
- Do you work from home or have a small business and therefore need space for a computer or laptop?
- Are you the secretary of the PTA and need room for project supplies and documents?
“Tailoring your center to your specific needs is a must.”
Make a list and check it twice:
Create a list of the things you would like to have in this space.
Most command centers have:
- chalkboard or cork board for important messages, notes and upcoming events
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00D63QAGG” locale=”US” tag=”maminthenow0e-20″]charging station[/easyazon_link] for electronics
[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”160″ identifier=”B00D63QAGG” locale=”US” src=”http://mamainthenow.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/51aA8HoukUL.SL160.jpg” tag=”maminthenow0e-20″ width=”160″]
- One of the most important things to have is a place for file folders
- they will hold mail, coupons, receipts and other information.
- A [easyazon_link identifier=”B0006HX36U” locale=”US” tag=”maminthenow0e-20″]wall file[/easyazon_link] can be used, desk top file folder or tickler file – as long as it is easily accessible.
- family photos
- inspirational quotes
- cute décor
But be careful not to go overboard small places can get cluttered easily.
- If you have cabinets or shelves in your command center, grouping similar items (scissors, tape, additional office supplies etc.) in labeled bins will help save space and avoid creating clutter.
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00TFXSABO” locale=”US” tag=”maminthenow0e-20″]Clear bins[/easyazon_link] with lids are great for stacking and [easyazon_link identifier=”B00SQ6S38G” locale=”US” tag=”maminthenow0e-20″]fabric bins with windows[/easyazon_link] can add color and hide stuff.
More Isn’t Always Better!
Be aware of what belongs and what doesn’t. Your command center is centrally located and maybe an easy drop spot for miscellaneous items. Find homes for this stuff and let your family members know what belongs at the command center and what doesn’t.
There are so many things to take into consideration when creating your command center but this is a great start. Don’t be afraid to tweak and make changes if the space isn’t working for you. And be sure to keep your new space clean and organized.
For more awesome hands-on tips, follow Sidney Young from Need Organizing on Facebook. If you have questions, need help or an extra set of organizing hands, please reach out to her. You (and your home) will be glad you did!
I have included some great printables to help you stay organized and to decorate your new kitchen command center.
These adorable printables will look great in a kitchen command center:
“Blessed” (I just got this one today for our new kitchen command center)
Hello Spring: I love the different color choices.
Enjoy The Little Things: This is a great reminder to every busy parent and the printable fits perfectly in all kitchens.
Dr Seuss Quote; I’m sure we can all agree that a Dr. Seuss quote is always appropriate.
I Like Hugs, I Like Kisses: Oh boy, our kids might roll their eyes at this one, but it’s spot on!
These printables keep you organized with everything from meal planning to exercising:
Please share with me in the comments, what is your favorite thing about your kitchen command center?
For more awesome tips from Sidney, don’t miss these posts: