We were provided one free rental set from Pley for this review. However, we had already subscribed to the service for several months prior. The opinions stated are all my own – and of course my children’s!
When I first discovered Pley and read about their service I thought “why didn’t I think of that myself?” The concept of renting LEGO sets on a monthly subscription basis is genius! As the mother of four boys, I know first-hand how much LEGO sets cost in the currencies of dollars, hours of building and frustration (when the set breaks or when a vital piece disappears). They aren’t cheap, but they are worth every dollar, hour and emotion! However, being able to RENT them lowers the expense on so many levels – it’s truly a game-changer!
My only hesitation with Pley was: “will the kids understand that they can’t keep the set?” Before I subscribed, I sat Jacob (7) and Jordan (5) down to gauge how much they understood, and if there was potential for a nuclear meltdown once the first set had to be returned. I explained and explained. I used simple terms, avoided big words – oh I was so wordy, until Jacob interrupted me and said “Mama, is it just like a library of LEGO sets? We return the books to the library, so we have to return the LEGO sets too?”. “Uhm, yes dear son – that is EXACTLY what I was trying to say!” From that point forward there was NEVER EVER an issue with them having to return at set, they always helped me take it apart and they looked forward to receiving the next one in the mail.
What is Pley:
- Monthly subscription of LEGO set rentals.
- There are three subscription levels, which determines the size of the sets you are eligible to receive.
- Shipping is completely free, never a charge to receive or return sets – and the next set is sent out really quickly.
- The kids receive the set, build it, play with it – without any looming deadlines – and then return it once they are done.
- They are “allowed” to lose a couple of pieces in each set without any additional cost. This was never an issue for us, as we assembled the Pley sets at the dining room table and they played with them separately from their other sets.
- The sets have to be completely disassembled before returning them, which is a fun process all in its own. The kids enjoyed taking everything apart almost as much as they did building it.
- The pieces are sanitized prior to being sent out to another family.
- The sets we received were used, however they came with new stickers, were completely clean and we were never short any pieces.
- If your kids decide that they absolutely cannot return a particular set, you can purchase it at a discounted rate – but don’t tell your kids up front! (Let’s just keep this as a little parenthood secret!)
We love Pley because:
- We received LEGO sets from some of the most popular and recent themes – all the fan favorites!
- Once we returned a set, the next one arrived just a few days later.
- Pley provided the box and shipping label, so returning the piece was never a hassle.
- We were never short a piece or an instruction manual.
- Everything we received was complete and clean.
- The kids were exposed to challenging sets we would not normally purchase.
- Who doesn’t like to receive a turquoise box in the mail?! (Pley’s boxes look AN AWFUL lot like Tiffany’s boxes.)
We continue to be Pley subscribers. Our kids love it, my bank account is happy – so what’s there not to love?!
Be the cool mom on the BLOCK and try Pley today!