“Mama, I am hungry…., it’s so hot, I am bored, is the game over yet?” If I had a dime for every time I heard those words last year, I could run away to a private island and have a nice quiet vacation by myself – far away from whining.
Thankfully things got better as the months passed, less complaining, more smiles. Over time, us moms learn what is needed to silence the masses and keep everyone happy – regardless of the circumstances.
Our first season as a travel soccer family is drawing to a close. As a matter of fact, our son is going through try-outs for the next season. As I sit back and reflect on life a soccer parent, I have to admit that although it’s busy, tiring and sometimes hard to juggle everything – this has really brought us together as a family.
(This post was sponsored by Bloggin’ Mamas and BodyArmor. The opinions and experiences are all mine.)
When we pack our bags in the morning and head to the soccer fields, it is crucial that we pack JUST the right things for everyone to have a great time. After the 47th time hearing little sibling voices ask “is it over yet” you come to realize that maybe, just maybe your bag is lacking crucial must-have items.
[bctt tweet=”10 things every #SoccerMom must have on the sidelines! @DrinkBODYARMOR #ad” username=”MamaintheNow”]
These 10 items are always in my “soccer mom” tote bag, the one that is packed and sitting next to our garage door… ready to be put into action when all six of us attend a soccer game.
- Chairs! Invest in a few comfortable folding chairs with shoulder straps so you can easily carry them from the car to the field. You will also need these for the many practices throughout the week, so don’t go too cheap on these.
- Shade! Especially here in South Florida it is necessary to BYOS (bring your own shade) or you will surely melt by half-time. A beach cabana is easy to set up and break-down, and provides great shade for a large family like ours.
- Waterproof blanket! Early morning games will be played on dew-covered fields, which is why the waterproof feature is important.
- Band-aids!Not for the player as much as for the sibling who WILL fall, trip over a stick… SOMETHING band-aid worthy will happen, trust me.
- Sunscreen! Our favorite is the Australian brand Blue Lizard. We use it for all of our family members – with great success.
- Wipes! Nothing is ever deemed clean unless it has been scrubbed with a baby wipe, it’s a scientifically proven fact.
- Snacks! Your family could have eaten a Thanksgiving Day meal minutes before arriving at the field, and the kids will STILL ask you for snacks! It happens, every time.
- Busy bags for the little kids: cars, PlayDoh, LEGO Minifigures, LEGO bricks, crayons and paper. I have several of these bags packed in the car, in my purse and anywhere else I may need to entertain the kids.
- Soccer ball!You know that as soon as the game starts, the siblings will be begging for their own ball, so come prepared!
- Sports drinks! These are not just for the player. Sitting in the hot sun for a few hours is sure to dehydrate anyone, which is why we bring sports drinks for everyone in our party. We recently discovered BodyArmor Super Drink. It is a light-flavored sports drink, sure to hydrate even the loudest cheering parent.
Body Armor Super Drink is a new hydrating beverage, for on and off the field.
Our favorite features:
- Lightly flavored with natural sweeteners and flavors. This is HUGE for me. I always freak out when my kids ask for a bright blue colored drink – because that just can’t be natural.
- Great source:
- Vitamins B3, B5, B6, B9 and B12 (200% of recommended daily intake)
- Vitamins A, C and E (100% of recommended daily intake)
- No strange after taste as with some of the other hydrating sports drinks on the market.
As with anything in parenting – and the Boy Scouts, the secret to “success” is to be prepared! Pack these ten items, and you will be prepared for a lot of “worst case” and “what ifs!’ The siblings will be happy long enough for you to watch your child score, do something wonderful – at least have a good time – because that’s all that matters!